Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Two Years to Life



Two years ago I went to a Tough Mudder as a spectator to watch some friends complete the twelve mile obstacle course, and one of them was wearing a bomb suit.  I was green with envy that day that I wasn't running the course with them.  I didn't feel fit enough to do any obstacle course, let alone a twelve mile one!  It was my very next day off that I walked into a CrossFit gym for training completely determined to turn it around, and it was about three months after that I did my first mud run, six months after that that I ran my first Tough Mudder, followed by two savage races, two CF OPENs, two competitions, and trust me, I am no where near done!

After two years of CrossFit (CF) I am stronger mentally and physically, I'm happier, healthier, more determined than ever, more educated on fitness and diet, and I get to work with some amazing friends/athletes almost everyday.  I've met so many new people through CF (including the highlight of my year, meeting Christmas Abbott),   The past two years have been non stop learning for me.  Everyday I learn something new, I get a wee bit stronger, and something finally clicks into place!  I have learned not to care about my time compared to everyone else on the board,  I've learned to slow down, dial into my form, and build up my strength and technique.  I've learned what to fuel my body with, and trust me it makes a difference in your performance!

There is not one day that I have gone to the box (aka gym) and regretted it, although there have been numerous days I haven't gone and that I have regretted!  I feel in many ways, and I tell people often that CF saved me.  It has taught me to be stronger, it has given me an outlet, I have great friends there and better then any other reason, my parents have both been active CF'ers for over a year and they are stronger, healthier, and closer to each other and closer to me.

I feel that I am setting a great example for my boys who will plop down and give you 20 burpees (ok maybe not 20), and who will turn any thing into a barbell and practice their snatch technique.  They too have made new friends at CF and absolutely love going to the gym.  You will often catch Noah hanging from my refrigerator handles doing pull ups, and it makes me smile.  I pray that these two boys see a strong mamma in front of them, and that it motivates them to find something they love and to stick to it.  I pray for strength and determination for them, and most of all, just health and happiness, which I have found through CF.

Is CF for everyone?  Maybe not, but not because everyone can't do it but because it may not be the way you chose to get fit.  There is no wrong choice here, it's just important to find something that you do enjoy and kick butt every day you can.  If it is CF you would like to try, come check us out anytime, and see what you really are capable of doing.... amaze yourself.

 Mom, Dad, and I about to run in the Reindeer 5 K

 My first Tough Mudder



 My Dad.... stronger every day.



Christmas ornaments for Dad and I!

















 Pit Crew Eli!






 Christmas Abbott!!!


 Who doesn't love handstands???












No comments:

Post a Comment